Boot Camp - Week One

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Last night I lined up alongside 19 other women in chilly temperatures with threats of rain to be weighed, measured and poked at. My body will never be the same. This week marked my first encounter with Boot Camp and I'm loving it so far!

To assist in tracking your progress you're measured at the first class. Get ready to learn more about me than you've ever known before. Here are my current measurements (in inches):

Left upper arm: 11

Right upper arm: 11

Chest: 33

Waist: 27.5

Hips: 32.5

Butt: 36

Upper left thigh: 21

Upper right thigh: 21


Weight: 130.6 (I weighed in on Saturday morning at 128.8 for my official monthly WI)

Body Fat %: 27


(I also took a before picture, but you're going to have to wait until week four to see my progress, so stay tuned!)


So many of the girls in my group were not happy about being weighed and measured - but who would be really? I kept a positive attitude about the whole thing - I've already lost more than 30 lbs and have been maintaining that weight loss for over 2 years! I feel healthy and happy! These numbers are only going to get better! I am proud of myself for doing this and I know that I'm going to see great results! It felt good to stay positive and it really reinforced my commitment to this new challenge.

Our first session started an hour later and it was tough. We did lots of squats, push ups, punches, kicks, lunges, and other fun things I would never include in my own workouts (unless I was with Jillian of course) Our instructor was lovely and motivating, calling out "you're doing great girls" on more than one occasion and was able to answer questions and check on our technique.

For the first 20 minutes I used the Motivating Strategy technique to visualize myself on stage at my belly dancing recital in a crop top, shimmying and feeling good. At around minute 21, the happy, hip-swiveling Ashley in my head disappeared and I used sheer determination and brute force to get through the remaining 40 minutes.

I was definitely hurting on my walk home. Once at home I got about halfway down the stairs to ask Joey if he had eaten supper. I had a yummy supper, a nice hot shower and went to bed at 10:00. When I got out of bed this morning I felt the effects of boot camp on my legs and bum and at work I started to feel it in my arms and back as well. That means it's working right?

Today I decided that I am going to do the full 8 weeks of boot camp. Enrolling in boot camp was one of my goals for the year and I really want to go at it full force. My short term motivation is as a result of having to wear a crop top at the belly dance recital, but in the long term I'm looking to change my body and increase my personal fitness level. I know that it's going to be challenging but I think I'm ready for it! I am so proud of how far I've come with my weight loss, eating and attitude and now I'm looking forward to pushing myself with my activity.

Over the next eight weeks I will be writing about boot camp and keeping you posted on how I'm feeling physically, what we're doing in class as well as what I'm doing outside of class. I received a handbook and at-home workout DVD and after browsing through the book last night I think I'm going to do the assignments and will definitely write about them. I think that they're going to be great!

I know this might sound crazy, but I'm actually really excited! (Remind that I said this when I'm complaining about the pain a few hours or days or weeks from now)

5 comments:

Andy said...

Yay, I'm glad you liked it! I still remember how sore I was the first day ... our instructor told us to do the 'toilet test': if you can't sit down on the toilet without putting your hands on the wall for support, you did good! :)

Anonymous said...

hey ash!! that is sooo awesome :D you are going to do great!!!!! My friend just completed 8 weeks of bootcamp!!! and she looks like a completely different person..honestly. She paired it with eating healthy..and her body has completely changed!
How exciting!! :D

Anonymous said...

You know how I feel about the whole scale thing. I totally think they should make everyone bring their favourite pair of jeans and try them on as the before and after and use adjectives to determine progress. Like before was "Fine. A bit snug in the bottom" and after is "Absolutely amazing, I can sit down and totally don't have to worry about my pants splitting".

Anonymous said...

What an awesome challenge - good for you!!

Crystal said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your first boot camp session!! I'll be starting my first week on July 6th!! I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time am scared I won't be able to do it!!

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

© 2008-2021 Ashley Gibson