Nutrition School: Day 1

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ohmygosh I LOVE IT!!

I started of the morning feeling a little excited….SANY2948 Okay, maybe a lot excited!SANY2955Because I’m a total nerd, my beautiful new Lululemon bag had been packed and ready to go by the door for days. SANY2957Full of books, paper, pens, daytimer, water bottle and my lunch.SANY2956Spinach salad with 1/2 avocado, baked falafels and some tahini. I enjoyed some fresh juice before running out the door.SANY2944Carrot-beet-spinach-celery-ginger – yum! And threw a banana in my bag for later. I was too excited to eat! I hopped on the bus and was on my way. I picked up my remaining books when I arrivedSANY2959 I found my classroom (there are only 3, so it wasn’t rocket science), got a seat near the front and started chatting with some of my new classmates.

Everyone was so nice and excited to be there – wonderful!! We talked a little bit about why we chose the school, what brought us there and our previous educations/life experience. There seems to be a mix of full and part time people and a girl:boy ratio of 9:1. Everyone comes from all different educational backgrounds and there’s a wide range of ages. One of the girls thought I was 19 – I’ll take it!

Because I’m doing part time, I will be taking one class at a time, twice a week. My first class is Nutrition and the Environment and I sincerely enjoyed every minute. We talked about the course outline, test & assignment schedule, required reading and then got right into it. Throughout the class we watched segments from Diet for a New America and discussed the impacts of the “Standard American Diet” (SAD) including our health, treatment of animals, land & water. Over the next 4 weeks we’re going to be discussing topics including our ecological footprint, approaches to agriculture, genetically modified foods, food processing and pollutants in the home and office. So much to think about.

In the few spare moments I had today, I couldn’t believe that I ever doubted my decision to go to nutrition school. It feels so right. I’m at a place in my life where I can really appreciate being in school and feel an incredible hunger for learning. I am looking forward to expanding my knowledge and applying it to this new career path I am on. I couldn’t stop smiling all the way home and responding to friends’ text messages inquiring about my day with “I f-ing love it!!”

Then as if my day couldn’t get any better, I saw this on Meghan’s blog:Meg Blog

And the Student Becomes the Teacher” I had Meghan & Nicole over for dinner before the holidays, but forgot to take pictures and then ended up getting to busy to blog about it. It was a bit of a mess trying to figure out what to make for her (especially since I use her recipes all the time), but everyone really enjoyed the meal and it was lovely to see them, as always. I really am so lucky to have such a great friend, mentor and cheerleader in Meghan!!

I was beaming from ear to ear for the rest of the day, but it was so busy (with Weight Watchers and rehearsal) that I looked like this by 11:00SANY2958 Still smiling, but exhausted. Is it Friday yet?

I promise I’ll write a post about something other than school soon. For now I’m a little ball of excitement and can’t hold it in!!!

19 comments:

LauraA said...

Yay!! So happy for you! Your class sounds really interesting, can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

How amazing!!!
I was smiling the whole way through reading your blog.

It really shows that you're in the right place right now.

Good for you!!
xox

Ali Raney said...

Congrats Ash!! So happy for you lady.
xoxo

Pure2Raw Twins said...

OMG so happy for you!!!!!! And a tad jealous, haha. We would love to go back to go to learn more about nutrition etc. :) Excited to hear all about your journey and education.

Unknown said...

That's sooo awesome for you!! I can't wait to hear about your journey!! :)

I would love to do nutrition school one day too!!

Congrats!!! :)

ps. I saw your shout out on Meghans blog, so jealous... I would LOVE to take one of her courses!!

Florida Food Snob said...

I am so happy for you! I obtained my AA last summer and have deeply been considering nutrition/dietion as my major for my bachelors. It is so nice to see that once you got there it felt good and reconfirmed your decision, inspiring... :-) Keep your head on right – you are moving in the best direction possible!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Ashley!! Sounds like your in a really good place :)

Megan said...

Sounds great!!
I'm so excited for you :)

Alex said...

Yaaaayy! I knew you would love it...It's exactly how I felt on my first day of school (and how I still feel!). It was like, "Ahhh, yes, this is home"

Congrats on being featured on Meghan's blog, too. What an honour :)

Ashley Gibson said...

Thanks so much gals!! I appreciate everyone's support so much!! It really is great to feel like I'm in the right place. And it was so sweet to be featured on Meghan's blog!

And I can't say enough how important it is to be doing something you love. Don't waste time waiting for your dream job to come up or to take the course you always wanted to take - just do it!! You'll be so happy and many good things will come your way.

<3

Jackie said...

I was so looking forward to reading about your first day at school. I am thinking about taking the courses from the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition.
Good Luck and Enjoy your classes!

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) said...

the EXACT same feelings as I sat there on my first day. I knew without a doubt that I was exactly where I was supposed to be, doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing. It's sweet that way. Yaaaaaaaay!

Ricki said...

So glad you're having such a great time! Thanks for the nostalgia, too--this brought back memories of my time at CSNN, and I just loved every minute of it :D

Also--had to tell you that I found out today one of my very best friends is in your WW group! Carla (known as Gemini II on my blog) and I were chatting and your name came up--such a small world!!

GF Gidget said...

I am so proud of you for following your dreams!

Unknown said...

Bursting with pride for you, hon. I know this is probably premature, but do you have any dreams about what you will do with your degree? I'm sure you have a million:)

Unknown said...

Hi sweetie! I usually don't comment anymore but just couldn't help it with your excitement. Just wanted to congratulate you and say yayyyy!!! for school and doing something you feel so passionate about. I totally relate girlfriend! Actually- my plan was to start school this winter as well- but a new health obstacle got in the way as you know, so I am back to being my own doctor and trying to heal again. But I have confidence I will get there again, my puzzle is just a bit complicated to put together. In the meantime- I am living vicariously through you!! So please don't apologize for talking about school- I am so excited for you to share what you are learning! I am so happy for you girl, congratulations :) Maja hugs!!!
xoxox, Emily, as in coco-Emily:)

Ashley Gibson said...

Jackie - Good luck with your decision making!!

Meghan - <3 Love that so many people are saying the same thing! So great to know so many like-minded people.

Ricki - What a small, small world!!!

Katrina - thanks doll!!

Robin - I have many ideas floating in my head, and I'm sure they will come together into something cohesive and exciting over the next two years. Thank you for your support!! It's thrilling.

Emily - hiiiiiiiii!!!!!!! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing in the happy dance. Miss your bloggy blog, but glad that you're taking care of yourself <3

Anonymous said...

So proud, so happy for you!

Lisa said...

Hope you're having a great time at nutrition school!

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

© 2008-2021 Ashley Gibson