52 Days Til Summer Challenge

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I had a mini-epiphany the other day…

I’m tired of feeling the way that I do.

I’ve really been struggling with my body image for the last 14 months. While it’s really been longer than that, the last 14 months-ish has been really rocky for me and I’m done with feeling this way. It’s exhausting and draining and is doing nothing for me. Last week someone said “get rid of the thoughts that don’t serve you” and it really hit home. That idea coupled with thinking about my past experiences in the midst of a workout led to the idea behind this challenge.

Things I would like to focus on:

  • Feeling great
  • Eating well
  • Shedding a few pounds
  • And oh, maybe getting back to something like this

So I thought about what has worked for me in the past when doing all of these things, especially when I was losing weight the very first time, and the following came to mind

  • Group support
  • Challenges
  • Accountability

What better way to accomplish all of that than through a group challenge!! So I bring you…

52 Day Til Summer
#52DTS

I wanted a catchy name and rather go with “Motivated in May” or something to that extent, I figured SUMMER is a great motivation for many of us. I also realized that my feelings were not unique to me. Many of the people I talk to on a regular basis or who are actively involved in the blog/Twitter world could benefit from some guidance, extra motivation and incentive.

Because yes, there will be prizes!

With May 1 marking 52 days til the beginning of summer on June 21, the challenge was born. Beginning this week there will be 52 Days Til Summer posts on Mondays (this week Tuesday because the weekend was crazy) and Fridays. Monday’s post will give you a focus for the week and detail the week’s mini challenge. If there is anything you would like to focus on in the next few weeks, please let me know and I will work to incorporate it into a challenge. Friday’s post will be an opportunity to check in, brag a little, talk about any challenges you may be having and really establish a bit of community. I will be posting these on both my blog and my Facebook page, so you are welcome to respond in the comments section of either or both. I will also be putting together a Twitter list with anyone who would like to participate and using the #52DTS hashtag when tweeting about the challenge. Please feel free to follow the list and use the hashtag to your heart’s content.

Week 1 Challenge:
Why the heck are you Doing This?
And how are you going to make it happen?

I picked up a copy of The Beck Diet Solution last week because it was mega on sale and I remember many people saying great things about it on the Weight Watchers message boards back when I was losing weight. One of the exercises is to develop your list of reasons that you want to lose weight. You were to make these reasons into a list and write the list on a cue card that you could carry with you and read at least once a day.

Inspired by this activity, I made my list last week and also made a list of commitments to myself in order to achieve my goals. Some of my reasons included:

  • to be the healthiest me I can be
  • to feel strong
  • to be in control
  • to start liking pictures again
  • to get rid of the thoughts that aren’t serving me

I also made a list of commitments that are going to help me achieve these things. These included eating well, tracking and being physically active. I printed off my list and put a copy in my wallet so that I can read it at least once a day and feel inspired when I need that extra little kick of motivation.

Part 1 of the first challenge is for you to do the same thing:

Challenge 1 Reasons and Commitments

Develop a list of reasons as to why you want to get active, eat healthier or shed some pounds. They can be as general or specific as you need them to be – just make them relevant to you! One of my reasons was to “look like my headshot” which really resonates with me. Once you’ve got your list, make yourself a list of commitments that you’re going to adhere to for the duration of the challenge (and going forward, because we know that everything you need to do in order to lose weight, is everything you need to do to keep it off) This list may change and grow over time, but again make it relevant to YOU.

Part 2 of the challenge is to get moving:

May Calendar

I used to make these calendars monthly and for whatever reason, I stopped and started using my own home calendar. This calendar is for you to track your workouts! Every day you do some physical activity, give yourself a sticker on the calendar. It’s amazing just how motivating stickers can be!! The objective here is to get as many stickers as possible and I will post a new calendar at the beginning of June to take us through to the end of the challenge.

I’ve also put both of these documents into a google doc for easy access

Part 3 of the challenge is to sign up!

Leave a comment on my blog or in the notes of my facebook note to let me know that you’ll be participating. Feel free to introduce yourself, state some reasons why you want to participate and maybe even some of your commitments from your worksheet or your workout plan for the week. Also include your Twitter name so I can add you to the list.

This initial sign up will also ensure that I have your information for the prizes that will come later – more info to follow – but I promise they’ll be fun and exciting!

To recap this week’s challenge:

  1. Develop your list of reasons and commitments. Print it off and put it somewhere where you can see it every day. In your wallet. At your desk. In the space next to your bedroom door. Just post it and read them every day. And start working towards them!
  2. Get moving! Give yourself a sticker every day you work out.
  3. Sign up! Leave me a comment so I know you’re doing this with me

Friday May 6 will be our first recap post. Whether you want to lose weight, get more physically active, meet some like minded people, have group support or just have a general tune up before summer, this challenge is there to help you. I’m so excited for everything we’re going to achieve over the next 52 49 days and can’t wait to see your results!!

22 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

LOVE this challenge!!! Can't wait to read more :)

Leah: Not Otherwise Specified said...

Great challenge! This is exactly what I need to stay motivated.

Lately I have started to feel like these last few pounds will never come off, and I know that's not true. I just need to kick it into high gear!

My name is Leah, I have been on Weight Watchers since May 2009 (wow, 2 years now!) and have lost 73.5 pounds in that time. My goal weight is to lose 85 total, so I'm narrowing in now! In this time, I've also quit smoking, gone vegan, and learned to LOVE exercise. Lots of things to be proud about. :-)

I will be linking to your blog in my blog soon, and working ont he first challenges. Thanks for this!

Anonymous said...

I'm in! This sounds fun and will be great motivation for me! I'm just getting into the swing of things after struggling for so long not knowing my thyroid was super low. I want to do this to lose weight, to continue healthy eating and to get moving! Once of my commitments is to track everyday for the 52 days.

My Twitter name is Girlstuckinarut

Lauren said...

Good luck with your goals! I struggle with the same stuff, especially after having a baby! Being a women is tough stuff! :)

Melissa said...

This is just what I have been looking for! My name is Melissa, I was on weight watchers about two years ago and lost about 30 pounds. After a while I found myself not using the program so I stopped. I have decided to join weight watchers again because I am finding all of my pants getting a little tight and the numbers on the scale are starting to creep up.
I am really looking forward to feeling comfortable in a bathing suit again!
My husband just got me an elliptical so my goal for this week is to get on that elliptical for at least 30 minutes a day.
Can't wait to see where this challenge takes me!

Megs said...

I am struggling with motivation and a possible fear of success...I'd love to join the challenge :) Looking forward to the next month and a half.

GregM said...

I took a bad fall when running last October and broke a few bones, I've been avoiding everything cardio since. You know, "waiting for warmer weather".

I'm happy with my weight and strength but I'd like to rebuild my cardio. Running and lane swims will be my approach and if I can comfortably run 2.4km (6 laps) in 12min and swim 500m (22 laps) in under 15, I'll be happy.

My twitter's in the link. Thanks!

fragileheart said...

Great idea Ash! Not sure how well I will do in documenting anywhere beyond twitter but I'm totally on board :) <3

Anonymous said...

Love this! I am totally in!

I'm doing this so I can a)be the best me I can be b)inspire other people to be there best selves and c)I want to wake up, look in the mirror and love what I see inside and out (this is the hardest part of my challenge)

Lizaboo said...

Loving this idea! I'm totally in! Im determined to have a beach body for my holiday in 6 weeks! I want to get into the best shape of my life xx :o)

Reach4theStars said...

I am totally in! Stopped going to WW at Big Carrot due to cost and therefore totally stopped tracking. Gained back the 22 lbs I lost. Just started tracking again last week... perfect timing for your challenge. We can do this!

LauraA said...

I'm so in! I'm doing this because I have been in a serious slump lately healthwise (food and exercise) and I think this will be the motivation I need to get going again. And also hopefully the motivation I need to start blogging again!

Jennifer Hunt said...

I'm in.. I need something to keep me motivated!

Jennifer Hunt said...

Oh.. I forgot to add why I want to do this..

I'm sick of the excess bulge, tired of being tired and hating how I look. I want to set an example for my kids.. I want to start something and see it through until the end.

aweekfromthursday said...

I'm in! Thanks for this inspiring challenge.

My name is Heidi, and I just joined Weight Watchers only 8 weeks ago. I've only lost 5 pounds, so I think I need a new outlook. I am looking forward to feeling in control, meeting my 10% in the next 52 days, and working on filling my life with positive thoughts. I'll link to your blog. You can find me at healthholiday.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Tara said...

Its tee...lets do this...crap- I am a week late? check your bbm :)

Karen Kelly said...

This is what I need. I've stalled. I'm trying to get my mojo back! Thanks thanks thanks! I'm going to write down my thoughts, ideas committments tonight!

karen

Amie@RunningOnHealthy.com said...

Just found your blog on the WW 20's board and it is great!! I printed off the workout Calendar and am looking forward to filling it up :)

Meag said...

I'm in! I've been plateauing for a couple of months now and my goal weight is so close. I need a good swift kick to get me going again.

Meag said...

Oh I forgot, my twitter handle is Merely_Meag

Nicole said...

This is an amazing idea! I kind of started on my blog but I'd love to join yours also! :)

My reasons are:
1) Upcoming wedding
2) Feeling the healthiest I ever have
3) Loving the skin I'm in
4) Seeing the changes
5) Getting compliments!

Sorry I'm joining a little late, but I hope its ok!! :)

I don't have twitter, but my blog is pcvgettinghealthy.blogspot.com

emilie said...

What a fun way to get motivated! I know I'm late, so please don't put me in for winning the prizes, but I'd like to join you!

I'm out to get in the best shape of my life! The ultimate goal? Hiking up Tremblant Mountain in Quebec and feeling great every step of the way! Then, riding 100km on my bike and just enjoying the scenery!

Thanks!

Emilie
www.liveeatsmile.blogspot.com

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

© 2008-2021 Ashley Gibson